Sometime this summer a neighbor of mine threw out a wooden changing table. Nothing really appeared to be wrong with it, so like a good neighbor, I took it for myself. I knew that it would be a great piece to redo once I decided on a purpose for the project. After an internal debate regarding whether or not I should redo it to sell or to use, I landed on transforming it into a coffee bar/trashcan storage for my kitchen.
My kitchen has no obvious place to hide my trash cans (trash & recycling), so they sit out in the open, which isn’t the most beautiful thing. I thought about transforming a cabinet or dresser into a hideaway but chose to use the changing table since I already had it and it would be a less expensive project. I searched Pinterest for tutorials and inspiration for this project but found very little about how to convert one and lots of pictures of bar carts, so I had to wing it! I think it turned out pretty well if I do say so myself!
The best thing about this project is that I already had most of the necessary supplies on hand. Here’s what I used.
- Changing Table (Free!)
- Stain Grade Panel (Lowes $31.98)
- Sand Paper & Tack Cloth
- Valspar Chalk Paint in White (already had, but costs $29.99 at Lowes)
- Valspar Chalk Paint Sealing Wax (already had, but costs $16.99 at Lowes)
- Navy fabric (Hobby Lobby $8.38 for two yards)
- 1″ Corner Brackets ($1.98 for four)
- Rustoleum one coat stain in Walnut (10.48)
- Tung Oil ($9.98 at Lowes, already had it)
- Tension Rod
The first step was to clean up the table, remove the current cardboard shelves, take out the middle shelf entirely and sand it down. Using the chalk paint doesn’t require that I strip all the old paint off, but I wanted to be sure to remove the shiny finish and that the surface was nice and smooth. After I was finished sanding I used the tack cloth to get all the dust off and prep the surface for paint.
Once the table was fully prepped I applied two coats of the Valspar chalk paint allowing it to dry fully between coats. Once the final coat was dry, I sanded and distressed the table to my liking and then applied the Valspar sealing wax in a thin layer using a clean rag. I left the table to dry completely.
The next step was making the new shelves. The piece originally had three cardboard shelves which were supported by metal cross beams. My design required removing the second one entirely and I needed to replace the remaining two with more sturdy shelves to support the weight of trash cans and coffee supplies. Lowes sells stain grade panels which were perfect for this project! I measured the size of the shelves and headed off to Lowes to purchase the shelving and the corner brackets to hold the wood in place. Lowes cut the boards to the size I needed so all the hard work was done.
The boards required sanding on the edges to smooth them out from the cuts and then it was time for stain! I wanted this piece to compliment the farmhouse table my dad and I built so I used the same stain for the wood that we used on the table top. I used Minwax one coat Walnut Stain. It truly only requires one coat, covers so nicely and dries quickly.
While the shelves dried, I attached the brackets to hold the shelves. I chose to reuse the original metal crossbars on the bottom shelf. Since there were three original shelves I had three of these strips and I screwed all three into the bottom shelf. Then I used the corner brackets I purchased at Lowes for the top shelf.
I knew that I wanted to hide the trash cans on the shelf so I took measurements for fabric panels. I made panels for each of the ends and two for the front to hide the cans. I chose to make two front panels to make it easier to access the trash cans. I simply used thumbtacks to attach the two side panels on the underside of the top shelf and a tension rod to hang the front two panels.
Once everything was dry and attached I simply placed the shelves onto their supporting brackets and all was done!
I later went back and applied a coat of Tung Oil to the wooden shelves. This helps protect them and seals the stain in the wood for a long-lasting beautiful finish.
All in all this project took me just a few hours and $43. Since the table was free and I already had most of the supplies it couldn’t have been a most cost-effective way to solve a problem in my kitchen!