I recently conquered a big fear- I resurfaced my kitchen table. I bought my table off CraigsList in January. I had been looking for one online for a while but my pickiness and thriftiness made this search difficult. I found this table and chair set for $40 and the only issue was that the chairs are wobbly. I didn’t love it- I hated the blonde wood, but it was sturdy and inexpensive. So I decided to go for it with the plan to make it prettier some day.
My aunt and uncle sent me a Lowe’s gift card as a housewarming gift and I decided I was going to use it to purchase paint to do the room that will be a dining room. Since I was going to be painting the dining room I wanted to get the table ready for placement there. Currently the table is in my kitchen on tile so it was the right location to do the redo.
This project was a bit terrifying to me because of the possible need to sand it down. A couple of months ago I ran into this post on Pinterest with information about how to redo furniture without sanding it. This seemed to good to be true, but worst case scenario is that I would have to sand it down if it didn’t work, so I decided to try it. Valspar has a version of the primer mentioned in the blog that was cheaper than the one featured. The good thing about the Valspar is that it also features that it primes tiles. Since my table has a tile inset this was perfect.
I gathered my supplies:
- Valspar Primer
- One quart of black latex paint
- One regular paint brush
- Clear coat polyurethane
- Oil based paint brush
- Paint Thinner
- Tack cloth
- Drop cloth
- Coffee from Dunkin’
I started by cleaning the table well and applying the primer. I was surprised and how thick the primer was, but it covered well and I only did one coat.
I let it dry for a few hours before doing the first coat of the black paint. I have a tendency to want to cover it and not be able to see the layer below when I paint. I fought that well with this project and you can see clearly the streaks and the primer beneath.
I ended up doing three coats of black. I sanded some sections of the table in between coats two and three. I don’t really want my table to look perfect, otherwise I should have sanded in between all of them. The brushes I used were not too high quality so I lost some bristles throughout the process– that’s why I ended up sanding at all.
I let the third coat dry overnight and cleaned the table with the tack cloth before applying the coat of poly. I was a bit worried that this little can of poly wouldn’t be enough to do the whole table, but a little bit really does go a long way. I let the first coat dry overnight. I wanted to make sure the top was smooth and consistent so I sanded it a bit and applied a second coat.
The clear coat took a lot longer than I thought it would to dry. It was over a week before it was drying enough to move. Around the time I did the clear coat the weather had cooled off and I started having the windows open a lot. Once I left them closed for a few days it dried up pretty quickly.
Next time I do a project like this, there are a couple of things I will do differently. First- I purchased an inexpensive oil based paint brush. The bristles were coming out as I put on the poly- so I would spend the money for a better one. Secondly- I should have let the latex paint cure for a few days before applying the poly. While it was dry when I began the clear coat, I think it wasn’t completely set. Finally- I should have let the first coat of poly set for a couple of days before applying the second coat. I think it would be smoother and overall would have dried more quickly.
All in all I love the new look of the table! It has some visible imperfections, but I really like that look. I also learned that redoing furniture like this, while time consuming, is not as scary as I previously thought. Next to redo the chairs!