It’s been a while since I last posted here and really since I last wrote at all. Life off the internet has been busy, full, stressful and good. Each academic year the end of the spring and start of summer feels like a whirlwind that catches you by surprise (even though you know it’s coming) and sucks the wind out of you. Thankfully, this year we have over a month between the end of our summer orientation programs and the start of fall training of students at work. This gives lots of time to re-find footing, catch my breath and regroup.
Between March and now a lot has happened that I want to remember and is worthy of celebration. Here are some highlights.
- After four years of living in SC, my bestie Grace came to visit. We had a great weekend even though is gloomy and raining almost the whole time, saw some sights, enjoyed downtown Greenville and downtown Anderson. I also forced her to go with me to a UK basketball watch party. She
- We held our annual spring fling week complete with our spring formal. It was at a new place this year which was the most beautiful one yet.
- I spent any weekend time I could get laying on the couch with Tuck and watching t.v. I binge watched Parks & Rec (which I’m forcing myself to wait a couple of months before re-watching), Leverage, The Office, How I Met Your Mother (Still not finished with this one), and NCIS.
- UK Basketball stressed me out so much. Too many close games there near the end. The last game against they-who-shall-not-be-named may have reduced me to shock and tears.
- I was proud of a basketball team that could go 38-1. That’s a pretty great season, championship or not.
- I protested the NCAA Title game. Duke has the trophy, but the season belongs to UK.
- I worked a lot of beautiful weddings. I held keys to a Porche at one, one groom said that I kicked a$$ and many weddings confirmed that I hate fire. Sparkler exits are the worst. Miraculously, neither I nor any guests have caused any fire damage to any person.
- I planted another garden and have enjoyed a lot of it’s fruits. I had my first tomato sandwich and canned bread and butter pickles.
- I got to watch one of my favorite people in the world get married.
- I said goodbye to my first class at AU. The students who graduated this year were freshmen when I started. I might have been a mess when they graduated.
- Tuck took a lot of vet trips and my vet has officially stopped laughing at my VIP/frequent visitor discount
jokesuggestion. If he ever takes his business public, I should be a majority shareholder.
- I’ve read great books– which I’ll share in a future post. Sneak peak: Love Does is phenomenal.
- My family came to visit and I got to be a tourist in Chicago while traveling for a conference.
- My cousin got married in a wedding that was not only beautiful but a blast.
- Business on my Etsy store is picking up and I’ve sold a few things off that site as well.
- We welcomed 500 students through our summer orientation program. The largest group came on the day we happened to have a major “micro-burst” (I prefer to refer to it as a hurricane) and we lost power on parts of campus. They handled it like champs and I got to drive a transit bus.
All in all it has been a few months. I’m thankful to have a chance to push the reset button and start fresh on a new academic year.